Saturday, November 24, 2012

'Finding Summerland' - Excerpt 4

Finding Summerland    
 **EXCERPT 4  
This scene is taken from the prologue...it is set in a 'future' time, which will come into play later in the series. The point of this 'glimmer of Wesleys' future will become more self evident as the series progresses. To read earlier excerpts, search the tag #SampleSunday.

Taken from - Prologue
2 months after my transcendence...


This can't be happening. I thought, petrified and grief stricken. This was supposed to be a happy day. Just hours ago we were having a blast. The thought was short lived, as I hunched over, a dull ache throbbing in my side. I pulled my hand up and pushed on my rib. It felt better for a second. Then Wyatt lunged at me again.

What are you doing?” I shouted desperately. “I know you can hear me, just listen?”
He stepped back a minute and I thought I was getting through. His eyes glimmered as he studied my face, then callously, methodically shifted his glance to the wound he had just inflicted.
I expected to see remorse. Surely it must be sinking in what he'd done as he studied my red, sopping shirt. But all I saw was emptiness and rage. A bitter shadow of the person he was. My best buddy—hell bent on killing me.



This isn't what you want.” I started as he stood still for a short time. Just moments earlier he had been chasing me wildly, incoherently screaming at me about 'who he was' and 'how I had chosen this for myself'. But now he just seemed paralyzed in some twisted trance. And I knew it wasn't his fault.
I couldn't kill him. Even though I knew it was my job. After all, he had lost his humanity. I was supposed to accept that he was already a horlock. The fact that he was trying to kill me should have ended it. But it didn't. It was just too painful. Not Wyatt. Anyone but Wyatt.
He started pacing around again, waving the dagger he had taken from me in the air like a prize. I pulled off my shirt, hoping to use it to restrain him somehow. I knew, since my transcendence, my strength was remarkable. I could take him down and see if there was still time to save him.
His eyes glowed furiously when he turned and saw my chest. I glanced down to where he was staring and realized my wound had completely healed over. Their was nothing but a small, red welt where the hole had just been. One of the benefits of my Ameryn blood.

You think you're special Wes, but you are nothing. So you can heal a little scratch. When Eos gets this dagger back, he will crush you. AND your precious underwater freaks.”


I wanted to deck him. Rage boiled up inside as I fought my emotions in order to remember what I was up against, and who I was. This was new to Wyatt. He had no idea what was happening to him, or why he was being used. I should have seen the signs but I didn't. I guess I just didn't want to. I had already lost someone I loved. I just wasn't willing to see it.


This isn't the way Wyatt. Think of Katie and your family.” I said as he watched on. “He is lying to you. He doesn't want to help humanity, he only wants to rule it.”

You should have told me Wes. But you didn't.” He was coming towards me slowly. “You didn't because you just couldn't stand the thought of me being better than you. You met her and the next thing you know, you're like some superman. You get the girl and all this shit starts happening. Then, as if that isn't enough, you hide from me what I am. Why would you do that?”
I started to answer, but he was already getting in his Jeep.

Wyatt come on man,” I said coolly trying to stall him. “You can't drive right now, you're too drunk.”
He began laughing hysterically as he fumbled to get the key in the ignition. Trying 4 or 5 times before he almost got it in.

Hey, don't worry. You can keep the dagger and we'll sort all this out in the morning.” I tried to bargain.
He kept laughing like he was delirious. The stench of beer and Eos, reeking through his open lips. I was shocked when he gave up and stumbled out, leaning on my shoulder, as if he'd suddenly forgotten what was going on. He didn't say anything but let me lead him back up to the porch and ease him down on the chair. He was still, for now, and I figured the best thing to do was let him rest, and watch. 
 

Somehow I fell asleep sitting on the floor of the porch with Wyatt. I guess it took more out of me than I realized, getting stabbed in the rib by my best friend, then healing. I was exhausted, which was unusual since my new body was so much stronger in general. I rarely needed sleep, but apparently I did now.
I was suddenly awakened, startled up out of my sleep, to see Wyatt's Jeep pulling away. I chased after him. He wasn't driving that fast yet, and I could run like a cheetah now. It didn't take long for me to catch up. His face staring blankly out the side window at me yelling for him to stop.

He was determined to keep going, obviously on his way back to the Order to turn over his prize. I didn't even care about that now. All I could think about was getting him back to Olivia in time for her to catch and recover what ever shrinking part of him was left. And I could tell at the rate he was going, I was running out of time.
I pushed the car gently to the side, hoping to slow him down. He retaliated by pressing down hard on the gas, kicking up sand and spinning his tires. He was driving more erratic now and it was becoming dangerous for me to run along side. I decided I needed to stop the vehicle all together. If I could make it in time, before he hit the main roads, he would be safe.
I timed it just right. I knew these beach roads like the back of my hand and there was a sand dune just ahead. I gave him a shove and the jeep glided precisely into the dune. I sighed, relieved, and started my approach. But before I got to him, the jeep roared back to life and started to move. I tried to see what he was doing, but it was happening so fast I couldn't tell.
The jeep took a sharp right and the wheels started turning. Within seconds he took off, plowing straight into the only tree on the street. I ran to him, the steaming jeep caved in all around the tree trunk, the grill and front left corner smashed to shards. Wyatt was laying face down in the drivers seat.

I pulled him out, yanking him from where his leg had been pinned by the twisted metal. He was unconscious, but his head was oozing a thin, bluish blood. I cringed as I used my shirt to start dabbing it off. He really was changing. But he wasn't dead yet.
I could feel his breathing as I held him in my arms. It was faint, but it was there. I felt helpless and wished that Kai was here to help or hoped Aiya would sense I needed her and magically appear, like she sometimes did. But neither happened. I was on my own and I was lost.


****************************************************** 
 Thank you for stopping by-Hope you have a groovy week...
visit again soon :)
Please share by pushing the share buttons 
and if you like to follow the blog...
That would be even groovier :)
Peace~Paige

BTW...Finding Summerland...available NoW $2.99

Kindle 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing...Peace